Skip to content
- Student Computer Initiative 2018 - 2019
- Additional Recommendations
- Always follow the specific requirements (if any) for the program you are entering.
- Utilize the VCU RamTech on-campus and online computer store.
- For the best support of a new computer you're bringing to VCU but did not purchase through VCU, obtain a RamSupport Plan which includes on-campus repair service, free loaners for repair delays, free virus removal, and software reloads.
- Available to enrolled students at no cost –
- A single copy of the latest versions of Windows and Office.
- VCU recommends an anti-virus package be installed on your computer. Here are some free alternatives.
- When purchasing a new laptop such as the MacBook or Surface Pro, it is recommended that you also include a USB Ethernet adapter and a USB hub in your order.
- Be advised that unless specifically required for a particular curriculum, iPads, netbooks, and eReaders are only suitable as secondary devices for uses in class and study.
- Use theft deterrence options like a security cable or Lo-Jack for laptops. For more information on this refer to Computer Registration with the VCU Police.
- Use a high capacity battery if available for portable devices. (laptops, etc)
- Use a Solid State Drive (SSD) as your main hard drive. Besides speed, the battery life of the system is greatly improved.
- Be prepared to protect data with an external hard drive or an online backup service.
- Automatic online backup services are not free or may feature a limited free trial period. Examples of online backup services: Carbonite, Backblaze, Mozy Home. Examples of free cloud storage sites: Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Mozy