Skip to content
- Student Computer Initiative
- Additional Recommendations
- Always follow the specific recommendations and/or requirements (if any) for the program you are entering.
- VCU recommends an anti-virus package be installed on your computer. Here are some free alternatives.
- When purchasing a new laptop such as the MacBook or Surface Pro, it is recommended that you also include a USB Ethernet adapter and a USB hub in your order to connect to a wired network and additional USB devices.
- Be advised that unless specifically required for a particular curriculum, iPads, talets, and smartphones are only suitable as secondary devices for use in class and study.
- Use theft deterrence options like a security cable.
- Register your device with the VCU Police.
- Purchase a laptop that has a higher-capacity battery and a larger Solid State Drive (SSD) if available.
- Be prepared to protect data with an external hard drive or an online backup service.
- While VCU students do receive access to cloud storage services such as Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, and Adobe Creative Cloud Storage, data storage and accessibility limits may apply.
- To access software available to currently enrolled VCU students, visit https://ts.vcu.edu/software-center
- All currently-enrolled students at VCU receive access to Microsoft Office 365 for free!
- A single copy of the latest versions of Windows 10 or 11 Education is also provided if students need additional features within Windows such as access to the Hyper-V hypervisor to run virtual machines.