A computer is considered essential for study at VCU and personal ownership of a computer is required for enrolled students. However, iPads, netbooks, Chromebooks, Android-based tablets, eReaders, and other similar devices may not be able to run the software needed for some programs and/or specific courses. A personal laptop with Microsoft Windows or Apple macOS, is the most suitable option for a student’s primary computer. Additionally, a Microsoft Surface Pro or MacBook Air may not be sufficient. Students are advised to contact their school for program-specific computing requirements.
Whether you're bringing a laptop you already own, or buying a new one, it should meet these criteria.
- Have an Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 series or greater/equivalent CPU
- Have at least 8GB of RAM
- Have a solid state drive (SSD) with at least 250GB of storage
- Have at least one USB (type A) port and WiFi
- Have a webcam and microphone
- Run a current, supported version of Microsoft Windows 10 or macOS
Also strongly encouraged: