A desktop or laptop computer is considered essential for study at VCU. Personal ownership of a computer is required for enrolled students. iPad, netbooks, Chromebook, Android based tablets, Windows Surface RT, eReaders and other similar devices are not suitable for a student’s primary computer.
Additionally, a Microsoft Surface Pro may be suitable in some, but not all, situations provided you also use an external keyboard.
If bringing a computer you already own, it should not be more than two years old and at a minimum have:
- Not more than two years old
- Have at least 4GB of RAM
- Windows 7 Home Premium or OSX 10.8 or greater*
- Have at least one USB port and WiFi
If you’re buying a new computer, we recommend that at a minimum it have:
- 8GB RAM
- Have an i5 or greater/equivalent CPU
- Windows 8.1, or OSX 10.10*
- an Ethernet port and WiFi
- Strongly encouraged - have an accidental damage protection warranty More Info
- Strongly encouraged - have an SSD hard drive for better system battery life
Minimum computer requirements for new students
View all General Requirements by School.