A desktop or laptop computer is considered essential for study at VCU. Personal ownership of a computer is required for enrolled students. iPad, netbooks, Chromebook, Android based tablets, Windows Surface RT, eReaders and other similar devices are not suitable for a student’s primary computer.
Additionally, a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 or newer may be suitable in some, but not all classes.
If bringing a computer you already own:
- It should not be more than two years old
- Have at least 4GB of RAM
- Have at least one USB port and WiFi
If you’re buying a new computer, we recommend that at a minimum include:
- 8GB RAM
- Have an i5 or greater/equivalent CPU
- Windows 8.1, or OSX 10.10*
- an Ethernet port and WiFi
Also strongly encouraged:
Minimum computer requirements for new students
View all General Requirements by School.